The Well Baby Clinic and Reproductive Health department offers services aimed to promote healthy outcomes for children, mothers and fathers. The arrival of a new baby makes a big difference to family life, bringing both new joys and new challenges. Even if it is not your first baby, a new baby will mean some changes to your family lifestyle which creates the need for the whole family to be guided through adjusting to parenthood.
This department monitors the health and wellness of pregnant mothers all through their pregnancy, prepares them for delivery and closely monitors the mother and child health for at least 5 years after birth of the baby. The nurse walks hand in hand with the new parents in monitoring their child’s milestones and helps them in decision making on reproductive health issues.
Some of the services offered by the MCH department include giving advice and support on but not limited to:
- Regular Antenatal Check ups
- Advice on Antenatal Exercises (Lamaze classes)
- Exclusive breastfeeding and formula feeding
- Complementary feeding (weaning)
- Nutritional advice
- Immunization (we offer both KEPI and baby friendly vaccines)
- Physical and emotional changes following child birth
- Adjusting to parenthood
- Changing relationships within the family
- Child and health development
- Parenting strategies
- Family planning
- Childhood illness
- Child safety and injury prevention
Growth Monitoring and Immunization Schedule:
There are particular times when a review of your child’s health and development is recommended. This begins from two weeks after birth where both mother and baby are checked and every other month until the baby is 5 years old. During these visits, the child is examined for up to date milestones and the due immunizations given. The mother is also advised on family planning methods.